OneDrive can be stopped from syncing if you do not want your folders to be uploaded on the cloud. Stopping the OneDrive from syncing can be useful if your OneDrive is synced on your work computer or school computer. You can stop all your folders and files from syncing.
Once the syncing is stopped you can restart the syncing any time you want.
Most of the Windows 10 users have a problem of OneDrive syncing even if they do not want it to sync. You can see the OneDrive from the Taskbar. From his location you can stop it from syncing.
Reason for you to stop syncing OneDrive
Every user has different reasons for disabling OneDrive. One reason is that every user wants control of their data. Most of the Windows 10 system comes with OneDrive previously installed and once you login into OneDrive it will start syncing.
Once you stop the OneDrive from syncing you can upload the files and folder you want onto the cloud storage. Stopping OneDrive from syncing is also useful if you want some other cloud services instead of OneDrive.
OneDrive syncing also impacts internet speed as it will hog bandwidth and will slow down the internet speed. This usually affects the users with slow internet speed as syncing OneDrive will make it even slower and make it difficult for you to use the internet.
OneDrive syncing will also take unnecessary resources and whenever the syncing process is going on then you will notice lag in the functioning of your computer. Also, it will greatly slow down the computer that is already low on resources. And once you stop OneDrive from syncing you will start noticing the improvement in your computer. OneDrive can also cause high CPU usage when syncing.
How To stop/pause OneDrive from Syncing
This first option will help you to pause OneDrive so that it will not sync. By pausing the OneDrive users can stop uploading their files on the cloud storage.
To stop OneDrive from Syncing you just have to follow these easy steps below:
- First you have to locate the OneDrive icon in the notification area on the taskbar. You can also start OneDrive from the Start menu also.
- Once you click on the OneDrive icon from the notification a popup window will open from which click on the More button located on the bottom right corner. Now click on the Pause syncing button, this will let you pause syncing for a certain time period. You can pause syncing for 2, 8, or 24 hours.
If you want to pause syncing for more than 24 hours then you have to pause syncing again after your first 24-hour pause is completed.
Additionally, if you want you can remove folders that are synced by OneDrive so that they are not synced at all.
- To remove the files that are synced by OneDrive first you have to locate the OneDrive icon in the notification area on the taskbar. Now click on More and then click on settings. Now click on the Account tab and then click on Choose Folders.
- Now uncheck all then checkboxes including Make all files available and click on OK to save.
This will stop OneDrive from syncing.
However, if you wish you can also disable OneDrive so that it will not appear in the notification bar. To do this you have to disable OneDrive from running automatically at Windows start-up.
- To disable OneDrive first click on the OneDrive icon then More and then click on Settings, now click on the Settings tab. Now uncheck “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” and then click on OK.
Once done OneDrive will not start automatically at start-up.
How To Unlink OneDrive On Windows 10 and stop Syncing
If you do not wish to use OneDrive then you can unlink your Microsoft account so that it won’t sync at all. Once you log out of your OneDrive account the syncing will stop.
- Go to the settings of OneDrive using the steps provided previously.
- Now from the settings popup window click on the Accounts tab and click on the Unlink this PC.
- Now from the confirmation click on the Unlink account.
Once done your OneDrive will not sync and your account will be removed. If you want to sync your data on the OneDrive again then you can again login to the OneDrive and then start syncing.
How to uninstall OneDrive On Windows 10
Your Windows 10 comes with OneDrive preinstalled on your computer. There are many cases in which you cannot remove OneDrive, however, Windows 10 will let you remove OneDrive which will stop OneDrive from syncing everything.
You can remove it by following the steps below:
- First click on the Start button and then type Apps & Features and then click on Apps & Features. This will help you to see all the applications installed on your computer.
- Now from the Apps & Features search for OneDrive application and then click on it. Now click on the uninstall button to completely remove it.
- You will get a confirmation dialog box, from which you can click on the uninstall button and remove the application.
This step is useful if you do not want to use OneDrive or you want to use some other cloud services.
OneDrive syncing can be annoying but you can disable it using the easy steps. You can also completely remove it to free up some space and stop syncing OneDrive.