When it comes to wet dandruff, you might experience a whole array of emotions, right from finding it annoying to worrying about how it affects your hair. Even if dandruff is a universal problem, dealing with it doesn’t become easier. It’s normal to hop on to the Internet and look for “dandruff treatment at home”, but the barrage of options you are presented with only makes it difficult for you to find the right dandruff solution.
There are chances that the remedies might not work well because those are essentially dandruff remedies, and you might be dealing with wet dandruff. Yes, wet dandruff exists!
So, what exactly is wet dandruff?
Let’s take a quick science lesson here: your scalp produces sebum to keep it moisturised and healthy. However, trouble brews when the scalp overproduces sebum, and this causes oily scales to appear on the scalp. This type of dandruff is more stubborn than the usual dry dandruff flakes that are more common. And, what worsens the condition is when dirt and other impurities stick to your oily scalp and trigger severe itching, which eventually leads to an infection if left unchecked. The major reasons for dandruff in such cases are:
- Not shampooing enough: If you don’t shampoo enough, it causes the excess oil to accumulate on the scalp and causes wet dandruff.
- Oily skin: If you have oily skin, the chances of getting wet dandruff are higher.
- Yeast infection: Overactive sebaceous glands in your scalp can encourage the growth of the yeast Malassezia globosa that lives on the scalp, thereby triggering dandruff.
How to treat wet dandruff?
The best dandruff treatments at home are:
- An anti-dandruff shampoo: Dandruff, whether wet or dry, can be treated easily with the right anti-dandruff shampoo. These shampoos are specifically designed to treat dandruff and give you immediate relief from the annoying symptoms. You can try Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoos, which are formulated with an active ingredient called zinc pyrithione that’s known to fight against dandruff and put a stop to the flaking. Explore the wide range of anti-dandruff shampoos and conditioners from Head & Shoulders andchoose the one that meets your haircare needs.
- Eggs to the rescue: Beat two eggs and add two tablespoons of water to it. Dampen your hair and apply the mixture above the hair. Now massage your scalp and let the egg mask rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash your hair with tepid water to get the mixture out of your hair completely. Eggs masks are a great way to remove excess oil from your scalp, strengthen hair, and fight dandruff, all at once.
- Use aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel is rich in cleansing enzymes like oxidase, catalase, and amylase, and vitamin B, C, and E. The gel also contains glycoproteins that offer relief from the inflammation and itchiness that accompany dandruff. This is why aloe vera gel can help get rid of dead skin cells, oil and fat deposits that might be clogging your pores and hair follicles, thereby causing wet dandruff.
Can be more challenging than its dry counterpart. However, these home remedies are known to help alleviate the symptoms of wet dandruff and give you clean, healthy, dandruff-free hair.