6.9 C
Wednesday, April 17, 2024

What is the difference between LGV and HGV?

Must Read

Today, the transport industry is booming, and licensed vans and trucks are in high demand. So, if you are too interested to become a driver then it can be possible that you might get confused by all the licence terminology. However, you must have heard the abbreviations of LGV or HGV and you might wonder what they mean.

So, if you are new to the industry of transport and logistics and want to drive for these industries then here are some differences that you should know.

Let’s understand the Difference between HGV and LGV:

The term LGV stands for “Large Goods Vehicles” and it refers to a commercial carrier vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 3.5 tonnes.

Some of the best examples of Large Goods vehicles include pick-up trucks, vans, and some three-wheeled commercial vehicles. All these vehicles are usually driven as heavy good vehicles and fall under the Category B.

The vehicles over 3.5 tonnes contain their own licence category and therefore the user must have the relevant licence in order to drive these types of vehicles. Example of Large Goods vehicles includes trucks, box vans, tippers, dropside, and many more.

Here are some of its categories:

C1: C1 Driver training licence is also referred to as 7.5 tonnes or class 3 and this category enables the licence holder to drive large goods with a vehicle weight up to 7,500 Kg and mass up to 750 kg. Those who are looking for making their career in LGV can obtain their licence from the age of 18.

Here have been given some of the examples of C1 vehicles and it includes ambulances, delivery trucks, and home removal trucks.

C1+E: This is also referred to as a 7.5 tonne and enables the licence holder to drive a large goods vehicle having weight up to 7,500 Kg. Its category is upgraded on the C1 licence and it can be only taken once the licence holder has passed a C1 test.

Heavy Good Vehicles:

HGV stands for Heavy Goods Vehicle and according to UK law, both HGV and LGV licences are the same. Both cover commercial trucks with a gross weight of over 3500 kilograms. Also, this can include flatbeds, tippers, dropsides, and a lot more. However, these may comprise the same things and also can be used in the same ways.

Some Different Types of HGV licence:

If you are looking to drive only Large good vehicles then there is no need for any qualification other than your standard driving licence. But for driving heavy good vehicles there are different types of licence that you need to obtain to drive different types of HGV:

1: C1 licence: This category falls under the basic level of HGV licence. The HGV Drivers who are driving large vehicles must contain a C1 licence.

A C1 allows you to drive a vehicle of 3,500 kilograms and the vehicle is 7.5 tonnes in gross weight. Before the year 1997 anyone who passes their driver test automatically has a C1 licence. Therefore, it is worth checking to see if this applies to you.

2: C1+E: This licence is commonly known as a 7.5 tonne+ trailer licence. It allows the driver to operate a vehicle having a gross weight of up to 7,500 Kg. It also comes with the attached trailers of over 750 authorized mass.

It is also provided that the maximum authorized mass of the trailer is not more than the weight of the vehicle being driven. The maximum authorized mass of the vehicle, as well as the trailer, don’t exceed over 12,000 kg. Moreover, this driving licence can be taken once the driver has completed their C1 test to get the licence.

3: C: Usually, a C licence allows the drivers to drive the vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. But it should be remembered that it should not exceed more than 32 tonnes. The category C licence mainly covers a vehicle with a cab and trailer fixed permanently together. In short, we can consider it as a “Standard Lorry configuration”. So, if you contain this licence then you need to remember that your vehicle should not exceed more than 750 Kg and the driver must be over 18.

4: C+E: One of the most comprehensive licence that the driver can hold is a C+E licence. While having this licence the drivers can easily drive as well as handle the articulated vehicle as well as the smaller vehicles that are mainly covered by the C and C1.

Here the E part of the licence basically stands for Entitlement. It also means that the bearer can at least goes up to 750 Kg in weight Moreover, it allows the driver to drive any large goods style vehicle needed and it includes a double trailer.

Things you must have for becoming HGV and LGV driver

For LGV and HGV training, a Class A licence is one of the most relevant qualifications to find. You must be good to drive any commercial truck with a gross weight of over 3500 Kg.

Thus, to make things clear, you always need to check all specific commercial driving licence that a driver needs to operate. Therefore, it is essential to be diligent and ensure that what kind of licences you need to operate heavy goods vehicles.

The Bottom line: Well, when it comes to hiring or providing training to drivers than qualifications must need to check first. Also, you need to make sure you are getting the details right. Moreover, it is important to know the differences between the driving licences and you need to assure what type of training you need to get behind the wheel of your vehicle.

Finally, when you look at what licences you need for driving heavy goods vehicles then you can easily operate these vehicles. The name of the licence that is needed to drive these large vehicles is the “Class A” licence and if someone is having a “Class A” licence, then it means you are equipped to drive any vehicles that are commonly known as heavy good vehicles or large good vehicles.

Also read this blog: What is the Difference between an ERP and a CRM?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

The Leaders Institute: Team Building Games That Work

In today's rapidly changing business landscape where team unity is more important than just improving operations; it's about creating...

More Articles Like This