The Netgear Nighthawk app has made it easier for users to manage their Netgear WiFi routers. Using the Nighthawk app, users can perform Netgear WiFi router setup set parental controls, manage traffic on the router, update firmware, and do much more. The paramount advantage of the Nighthawk app is that it supports both Android and iOS devices. In this article, we will shed light on the steps to perform Netgear router firmware update using the Nighthawk app. So, let’s start.
Steps to Update Netgear RouterFirmware Using Nighthawk App
Netgear regularly releases firmware for its WiFi devices for their optimum performance. However, if you don’t update the firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk router, then it won’t function to its complete potential. Also, performing Netgear router firmware update will add new features to your WiFi device and prevent it from vulnerabilities. Thus, you should never ignore whenever a new firmware is available for your Nighthawk router.
Following is the breakdown of steps to perform firmware update using the Netgear Nighthawk app
- Switch on your Nighthawk wireless router by connecting it to a power source.
- Allow the power LED on your Netgear WiFi router to glow solid green.
- Connect Your Router and Modem
- After powering up your Nighthawk router, it is time to connect it with the modem.
- Therefore, pick an Ethernet cable and connect your WiFi devices with its help. Make sure that the connection is accurate and precise and the Ethernet cable is damage-free.
- Download the Nighthawk App
- Now, unlock your phone and go to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Search for the Nighthawk app and download it on your mobile device.
- Once the installation finishes, launch the app by tapping its icon.
- Log in to Your Netgear Nighthawk Router
- Create your Netgear account by providing the required details.
- Thereafter, you will be prompted to log in to your Nighthawk wireless router.
- So, type the default username and password of your Nighthawk router into their respective fields.
- Tap the Log In button.
- Upgrade Nighthawk Router’s Firmware
- The Netgear Genie dashboard will be displayed.
- Now, locate the Router Settings page.
- Once there, scroll down and tap the Check for Updates option.
- If a new firmware is available for your Nighthawk router, tap Update.
Once the firmware update process starts, do not turn off your Netgear router or run any background activity on your mobile device. Doing this may corrupt your router’s firmware.
Points to Remember While Updating Netgear Router’s Firmware
Although the firmware of the Netgear router can be easily updated using the Nighthawk app, still some users face difficulties while doing so. To ensure that you are not one of them, keep the following points in mind:
- Do not proceed with the firmware update process until the power LED on your Nighthawk router stabilizes.
- Avoid plugging your Netgear WiFi router into a short-circuited wall plug.
- Make sure to enter the default login credentials carefully. The reason being they are case-sensitive and if you enter them incorrectly, you’ll be stuck amidst the firmware update process.
- Place your Netgear Nighthawk router away from WiFi interference devices. These devices include cordless phones, microwave ovens, refrigerators, etc.
- Disable all proxy and VPN apps until the Nighthawk router firmware update process completes.
- Lastly, do not update your router’s firmware without performing Netgear Nighthawk setup properly.
A firmware provides network protocols and administrative controls to your Netgear Nighthawk router. Thus, follow the aforementioned handy guide and update your router’s firmware using the Nighthawk app. If you found the article helpful, then don’t forget to leave a word of appreciation in the comment section.