This guide will help you with the Google wifi setup for the google mesh wifi systems. And here, you will also find the setup process for the Onhub devices.
An important thing to note before going further with this guide is that Onhub devices are not compatible with Nest wifi devices.
What are the requirements to do the google wifi setup?
Keep a check on the following things before starting the google wifi setup process:
- You should have a Google wifi point or points.
- You must have a google account.
- Also, make sure that you have one of the following devices:
- An android phone which is running Android 6.0 or its later versions.
- An android tablet that is running Android 6.0 or its later versions.
- Apple device which is running on IOS 12.0 or its later versions.
- You also must have the latest version of the Google Home app downloaded on your Android or IOS device.
- Active internet service is also essential.
- Note that some Internet service providers or ISPs use the VLAN tagging systems. So you may require additional equipment to run your Google wifi.
- You should have a modem as well.
- Ethernet cable is required to connect to the primary wifi point, and it is provided in the router’s packing.
- The power adapters are also essential for each wifi point, and you will find these as well in the router’s packing.
Please note that the wireless regulations vary from country to country. So if you have purchased your google router in some country, but you are using it in a different county, then you may find compatibility issues. And google would not be able to provide support in such circumstances. So it is recommended to use the routers in the same country in which you purchased them.
And the same is recommended for mesh routers.
Setting up the Google wifi at primary wifi point
The following steps will be useful in setting up the Google wifi point. But first, make sure that you have a working modem, and it is properly connected to the internet:
- So firstly, download the Google Home app on your Android or IOS device.
- If you are setting up your router using the Google Home app, click on the set up a home button.
- Then select a wifi location for the primary wifi point.
- Any of the google wifi points can be used as the primary wifi point.
- Also, the wifi point needs to be connected to the working modem. And the modem should further provide an internet connection as well.
- Now to get the best connectivity, you should place your router in plain sights, like your TV or computer.
- Then put the one end of ethernet cable in the WAN port of your Google Wifi and connect its other end to your modem.
- Also, connect the primary wifi point to the wall outlet.
- Wait for at least 90 seconds till the LED light of the routers starts blinking blue. The blue light indicates that the router is ready to set up with the Google Home app.
- Use your Android or IOS device to launch the Google Home app.
- Then in the Google Home app, first click on the Add button, then select the Set up device option. And then choose the New device option.
- Also, Choose a home.
- After all this, the app will find your Google Home device on its own. And once the app finds your device, tap on the Yes button. Now, if you want to connect several devices, you need to select any one device as your primary wifi point.
- Then scan the QR code. You will find it on the bottom of the device.
- Hold the phone at least 5 inches or 12 cm away from the code to scan the code.
- But if you are not able to scan the code, you could select the option Continue without scanning. However, you need to put in the setup key if you opt out of the QR scanning option.
- Then select a room for the router. Or you can click on the option create a new one.
- Next, select and enter a name for your Wifi network. It would help if you also create a password.
- Follow the app further to complete the setup process.
- Then wait for few minutes till the router creates a wi-fi network for you.
- Lastly, if you want to connect more devices to your wifi network, select the Yes button in your app.
- Or you can also go through the information in the following section to add more devices to your wifi network.
How to add a point
You can add your Google wifi as well as your Google Nest wifi device to your primary Wifi point. The more wifi devices that you will add, will be considered as points in your mesh network. You can use the Google Home app for the setup, but first, you need to select a spot to place and plug in your point.
Then follow these steps for further setup:
- First of all, open your Google Home app.
- Next, tap on the Add button, then select the Set up device option. And lastly, click on the New device option.
- Then select home if the app asks for one.
- The app will find your device on its own. Once the app finds your device, press the Yes button to continue. Now, if you have several devices, you need to tap on that device that you want to set up as the point. Then click on the Next button.
- Then scan the device’s QR code with your app. You will find the QR code at the bottom of your device.
- To scan the code, keep your phone’s or tablet’s camera at least 5 inches or 12 cm away from the QR code.
- But if you are having any issues scanning the QR code, select the option Continue without scanning. In this case, you need to enter the setup key of your device.
- The point will now connect on its own. If you are connecting the Nest wifi points, you will hear a sound coming from your speaker. Once you hear the sound, tap the Yes button.
- Now follow the instructions being provided by the app to complete the setup process further.
- In case you want to add more points to your network, click on the Yes button in the app if prompted. Or you could also repeat these steps after a while.
- After adding all your devices, the Google app will run a mesh test to check that everything is working fine.