Learn how to safely remove temp files on Windows 10.
Are you familiar with the term ‘Temp files’ or ‘temporary files’? Well, almost all Windows users do. Temporary files are the files created to store information temporarily. You look for temp files when you either go out of storage space or you wish to completely empty the recycle bin. Windows 10 users store a lot of data, files and folders and therefore, it becomes necessary to clean temp files including the leftovers installing a new version, upgrade logs error reporting, and more.
Is It Safe To Delete Temp Files On Windows 10?
Well, if you’re thinking if it is safe to remove temp files on Windows 10, then you can feel free while doing so as it is safe, secure and a reliable way to get rid of files that are taking up unnecessary space on your hard drive.
How To Delete Temp Files On Windows 10?
For those, who do not know how to clear out the temp files on Windows 10, we have listed here some of the best ways including the most common one including typing in %temp% in the Run dialog box, selecting all files by pressing Ctrl+A, and then pressing Delete. There are other workarounds too. Checkout the blog further to know more.
Best Ways To Delete Temporary Files On Your PC
Way 1: Delete Temp Files Using Windows Settings
- Head To Windows Settings using either the Start menu or by pressing Windows + I keys together.
- Click on System > Storage.
- Under the Local Disk section, you’ll see the Temporary Files option. Click on it.
- On the next screen, you’ll see an option to Remove files. Click on it to remove all the junk from your hard drive.
Way 2: Set Settings To Automatically Delete Temp Files On Windows
If you wish to delete Temp files automatically, you can use the following steps:
- Head to Windows Settings.
- Navigate to System > Storage. Under Storage turn the toggle ON.
- Then, click on ‘Configure Storage Sense or run it now’. Here, you’ll get options to adjust the cleanup settings or run storage sense on demand.
- Set the time when you wish to get rid of temp files on your Windows PC. Ensure that you check the mark ‘Delete Temp Files That My Apps Aren’t Using’.
Way 3: Use Disk Cleanup To Remove Temp Files
- Head to the Start menu and search for Disk Cleanup. Double-click on the result that opens.
- Now, under the Drive section, select your OS drive. In most of the cases, it is C: drive.
- On the Disk Cleanup tab, choose Temporary Files under the head ‘Files To Delete’ and click OK.
- You’ll then see a confirmation box asking you if you are sure of deleting these files, click on Delete Files to confirm.
Way 4: Use Command Prompt To Clear Temporary Files On Windows
- Open Command Prompt using either the Run dialog box or the Start Menu or type in cmd in the search box.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type in del /q/f/s %temp%\* and press Enter.
This way you can get rid of all temp files within a snap.
Way 5: Using File Explorer To Get Rid Of Temp Files
This method to clear temporary files on Windows is the most common one. All you need to do is follow a few steps and that’s all. You are no longer having junk in your system. Here’s how to do:
- Press Windows + R keys together.
- Type in temp and hit Enter.
- You’ll be directed to the Temporary Files folder on your system.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all the files. Hit the Delete button on your keyboard to clear them all at once or press Shift + DEL to permanently delete them.
- Then, again open the Run dialog box and type in %temp% and hit Enter.
- This will direct you to the folder that stores the temp files created by the apps.
- Again, press Ctrl + A to select all the temp files and hit Delete to clear them all.
- Once done, do not forget to Empty the Recycle Bin.
So, these were some of the best tried and tested ways bt if they are not working for you the n you can use pc optimization tool for windows. It is a good practice and a recommended one too so that you never run out of storage space due to temporarily stored files. Try them out and let us know if you have any questions or suggestions in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Can I Delete Everything From My Temp Folder?
Yes, it is safe and secure to remove all the temporary files from your Windows computer. The files stored are usually the ones that are not in use since long.
Q2. How To Quickly Find Temp Files On Windows?
Press Win+ R keys together and type in temp first and then %temp% and hit enter. Both these commands will open temp files. Press Ctrl + A to delete them all in a go.
Q3. Does Deleting Temp Files Speeds Up The Computer?
Yes, deleting temp files includes deleting internet cookies, and data cache etc. that takes up a huge space on your computer. Deleting them does speed up your computer and hence, it is a good practice to remove temp files once in a week.
Q4. Does Temp Files Take Up System Space?
Yes, temp files do take up a huge amount of storage space on your computer. Though it doesn’t harm in any means. While using your computer for a long period of time, it gets cluttered with a huge pile of temp files. As a result, it slows down your computer and makes the storage full.
Q5. What Happens When You Delete Temp Files?
A lot of times the temp files get deleted automatically, but sometimes it happens that a few of them stay in your system for a little longer. The automatic deletion occurs when the task these files were helping with is completed. By deleting them you not only recover storage space but also speeds up the computer.