Drienka, as the dogwood, popularly named, came to us from the Balkans and Asia Minor. It was there that it has long been used in various forms, especially as a tasty food supplement or as a medicine. Rumors of its beneficial effects spread rapidly, bringing it to almost all of Europe. It immediately became domesticated in our country as well, where it is still grown due to its good resistance, undemanding care, and the mentioned healing effects.
What makes drienka typical?
- It grows to a height of 3 to 6 meters.
- It can live up to 300 years.
- The flowers have a distinctive yellow color.
- The fruits are oval stones.
- The hue of the fruit is deep red.
How is marrow grown?
The first step to successfully growing marrow is properly timed planting. As with most other trees, it is recommended to plant in spring or early autumn, preferably at times when there is no risk of ground frosts.
Place of planting
Drienka needs plenty of sunlight, so a suitable location will be an open space. If the sun shines on her for at least 5 to 6 hours a day, she will also thrive in partial shade. However, dry soil is required when planting.
Ideal soil type
Healthy soil growth will also be supported by suitable soil. It should have a neutral or slightly basic pH. The optimal conditions will be created by an aluminous-sandy type of soil, but it will not be hindered even by stony soil.
There is no problem with setting the watering intervals for the stems. They don’t need watering at all. It is not necessary to water them regularly, even during periods of heat. It is enough if we water their roots slightly once in a while.
Fertilization of marrow
If the marrow is planted in the right soil with enough nutrients, fertilization is not necessary. Chemical fertilizers still do not do well, so if you need to fertilize, you should bet on homemade compost.
Why grow marrow?
- Its wood has a good quality used e.g. in woodcarving.
- In addition to its practical function, it also fulfills the aesthetic one, it is planted as an ornamental shrub.
- As an ornamental shrub, it is grown either in the form of solitaires or hedges.
- The most common reason for growing marrow is the strong healing effects of the fruit.
What substances does drienka contain?
The amount and selection of nutrients make the marrow one of the most healing woody plants. Its composition does not lack several types of vitamins, especially vitamins A and C. By consuming fruits, you also supply the body with minerals beneficial to the functioning of the body. Pectins and tannins, in turn, provide overall immune support, which improves after only a few days of marrow use.
What are the healing effects of marrow?
- It lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.
- It can remove excessive sweating.
- Helps with digestive problems.
- It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- It can cleanse the liver, intestines, and kidneys.
- Eliminates gingivitis and toothache.
- It helps with dizziness and ringing in the ears.
- It acts as a prevention against arteriosclerosis.
Utilization of marrow in the kitchen
- Compotes and syrups.
- Durable jam.
- Must or fine liqueur.
- Raw fruits for the cake.
- Tea can also be made from marrow leaves or bark.
Drienky can be heat-treated without fear of losing selected nutrients. The high content of vitamins and minerals guarantees that the fruit retains its rich healing effects despite boiling.
Interesting at the end…
Medicinal wood is one of the legally protected plant species. The reason is a decrease in the number of woodpeckers, which can stop participation in the list of protected species.