A doctor must use a wide range of ophthalmic instruments when diagnosing eye problems. The equipment units and devices need optimal quality, from retinal scanners to surgical instruments. The eyes are one of the most delicate organs, and that’s why a doctor uses different types of instruments to make sure that the diagnosis is correct and the treatment is going in the right direction.
If you are an eye doctor and want to set up your clinic, you need to have some of the most important devices and instruments. On this account, let us introduce you to the basic ophthalmic equipment types that should be there in your new clinic so that you can start your career as a genuine, reliable, and trustworthy doctor. Here, we have mentioned the different instrument types and have explained their functions and sub-types.
During eye surgeries, you cannot use the normal knives required in general surgery. That’s why as an eye doctor, you need to use special knives that will help you conduct the surgeries best. These knives are categorized into several groups, from the keratome blades to the micro ophthalmic instruments. Each knife type has different applications based on the process of treatment and the issues the patient is suffering from.
To make you more knowledgeable, we have listed some of the major eye surgery knives you should have in your instrument/equipment collection.
- Lance tip knife
- Keratome knives
- Crescent knives
- MVR knifes
When you are looking for ophthalmic knives, there are certain factors that you have to consider. For example:
- You need to check the angle and length of the knife blades because the instruments’ performances will depend on these two aspects.
- Also, you have to check the material with which the blades are manufactured. Stainless or alloyed steel will be the best material since durable, strong, and sturdy.
- You should also check the sharpness of these blades and how well they can make a precise and accurate incision, side port, simple corneal cuts, and others.
Micro ophthalmic instruments
The next type of ophthalmic equipment that you should have is the micro instrument. These are mainly used when performing microscopic surgeries since every work, such as cuts, incisions, and others must be done with precision. Moreover, these are semi-invasive, meaning micro-cuts must be made in the eyes without damaging the major parts.
There are several types of microscopic surgical instruments that you should gather before you start providing the services. Some of these equipment types are:
- Micro forceps with two pointed tips and a perforated body for better grip.
- Needle holders with curved and pointed tips at the end and a bulging pair of arms.
- Eye speculums are required when doctors examine the eyeballs, cornea, and conjunctiva widely, preventing the closing of the eyelids.
- A dilator relaxes the eye muscles and dilates the pupil so light can enter the eyes properly.
- Scissors in micro-eye surgeries have small blades with sharp edges and pointed tips.
One of the major requirements for ophthalmologists is sterilization trays. These are available in two material options- stainless steel and plastic. You will need these trays because the eye surgical instruments, available probes, dilators, retractors, and more need to be kept hygienically without being covered with pollutants and germs. That’s why sterilization trays are required for any eye operation.
Usually, buying at least four to six trays would be better to keep the knives, forceps, needles, needle holders, retractors, and other frequently used equipment units in individual trays. To keep the trays safe and free of impurities, you can place these trays in boiling water or allow steam to pass through the perforations on the top lid. The heat from the water or steam will be enough to kill all the germs and microbes and disable the impurities.
Since an ophthalmologist needs proper access to every corner and edge of the eyes, a retractor chair is needed. You can turn the wheel to extend the chair as a slanted seat or use the lever to move in along the vertical axis. These hospital furniture items are made from a sturdy frame and covered with foam and leather upholstery. As a result, they can last for the longest time. Also, they have proper armrests and a headrest so the patient can lie down in a relaxed position.
While choosing the retraction chair, you need to make sure that you are considering the following factors:
- It would help if you made sure that the chair’s size is universal to provide healthcare services to different patients, from kids to elders.
- Also, ensure you get the retractor furniture from a reputed manufacturer. This way you will get a guarantee on the furniture and can prevent any accident.
- It would be better to buy only one chair because this particular furniture type is quite large. And buying more than one will block the space.
Here, in this above block, we have discussed the top four ophthalmic instruments you need for your new eye clinic. Just make sure to get these instruments and devices from a trusted and reliable manufacturer and supplier so that you can provide the best services and treatments to your patient.