You shall find many techniques to download your data locally to keep PowerShell safe from several threats, yet the perfect one is always unknown.
This article will explain the PowerShell method and an alternative that is the perfect solution, as said by professionals.
All you have to do is install the Office 365 Email Backup Tool on your Windows OS machine.
Now, learn about Office 365 before exporting email from Office 365 PowerShell.
Office 365 is a web-based suite offering several benefits and functionalities to grow your business.
The emailing services are amazing and are one of the most used portals for exchanging sensitive information.
But, How do Backup Office 365 Email PowerShell?
Several users know that Office 365 data can only be exported directly without technical difficulties.
Yes, the PowerShell commands require a certain amount of technical knowledge, making it difficult to create a backup of the data.
There is only so much you will need to learn before executing the method if you start from scratch.
It is hard for a non-technical user to perform this procedure with technical assistance.
To start with the method, you first need to ensure that all the following requirements are met:
- It would help if you were an eDiscovery Manage or Administrator to start the process since it is the default role.
- Ensure you have a remote connection to Office 365 Security & Compliance Center.
After completing these requirements, you can execute the cmdlets to start the procedure.
What Are the Steps to Backup Office 365 Email PowerShell?
This can get complicated here, so follow and execute each command carefully.
- First, you need to use the New-ComplianceSearch cmdlet to search before converting the data.
New-ComplianceSeaarch “your_name” –ExchangeLocation all | Start-ComplianceSearch
- After that, export the search’ssearch’s data by executing the given command.
New-ComplianceSearchAction “your_name” –Export –Format Fxstream
- Here, you have to wait for the process to complete. Once done, you must run the Get-ComplianceSearchAction cmdlet to export email from Office 365 PowerShell. Doing so will give you the URL needed to download the data.
Get-ComplianceSearchAction “your_name_export” –IncludeCredential | FL
After all of this is done, you will receive the result divided into two parts of information, using which you can download the end file.
These will have the Container URL and the SAS token, which combine to form one URL.
New-MailboxExportRequest –mailbox user1-filepath\\myserver\documentsfolder\name.pst
The direct path cannot be used in this method like E:/folder/name.pst. It requires you to follow the listed path on the network.
Also, check the user permission, which can be done via the Exchange Admin.
Note: If you want to include any folder, you have to perform the add-include folder cmdlet along with the folder’sfolder’s name. To exclude any folder, execute the –execute folder command with the name in inverted commas.
Export email from Office 365 PowerShell to Include or Exclude Folders
To include the folder, apply the given code:
New-MailboxExportRequest –Mailbox ‘name’ –Filepath \\SRV01\PSTFiles\name.pst-IncludeFolders “#SentItems#”
To exclude a folder, use the following command:
New-MailboxExportRequest –Mailbox ‘name’ –Filepath \\SRV01\PSTFiles\name.pst-ExcludeFolders “#Drafts#”
Use the below-given command to export the data from a certain time duration:
Drawbacks of the Backup Office 365 Email PowerShell Method
- It is a complex method and becomes lengthy due to the technicalities involved.
- If you have the technical knowledge required, it becomes easier to go through the procedure.
- One mistake can lead all the proceedings to go in vain, and you will have to start the process again.
- Takes a lot of time to complete this operation.
Professional Alternative Method to Manually Creating a Backup
If you want to overcome all the drawbacks of exporting email from Office 365 PowerShell, use the Office 365 Backup Software.
Now, you must be thinking about why to use a tool.
You should consider using the software because these are always tried and tested by experts.
Also, there are a great number of features that can use for downloading the data to a safer place.
Go through the given steps:
- Run the software on your machine and activate it. Choose Office 365 as your Source platform and Outlook as your Destination platform.
- Now, mark the checkbox beside the Email option in the Categories section and apply the Date filter for selective data migration.
- To start, fill in the Office 365 admin account details in the asked fields and hit Validate to assign permissions. Press Next.
- In the Destination window, enter the destination and the size of the files to create in Outlook. When you export email from Office 365 PowerShell, it doesn’tdoesn’t allow you to Validate the permissions.
- Add the user mailboxes by choosing one of the options, i.e., Fetch Users and Import Users.
If certain emails may have arrived after the first process, choose the Delta Backup option to export only those emails.
Run the procedure again if required via Re-Run Full Backup or Retry Failed Items features.
You may also find Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Step By Step helpful.
In a Nutshell
To back up Office 365, email PowerShell is a challenging task. PowerShell commands need a lot of technical expertise, which only some users have.
So, the alternative method is explained to help users get a simpler and more innovative solution for the same operation.