App Store Optimization or App Store SEO or ASO is the method in which a game or application is optimized toward maximum visibility over search results in the App Stores. ASO helps to direct and increase traffic in-flow and improves conversions for maximum downloads. ASO forms the fundamentals in Mobile Growth Strategy by reducing User Acquisition expenses over Android or iOS platforms.
According to the estimation of the mobile app marketing services, by the end of the year 2020, Google Play will possess 3.14 million apps while the Apple Play Store shall contain 2.09 million apps.
Favors of ASO
- ASO or App Store Optimization plays a crucial role for the mobile business. Lacking a reliable ASO strategy can lead to a loss in both – ranking and discoverability. However, social media sites do not run on the ASO principle.
- UA or User Acquisition is a method of acquiring new users for a game, app, service or platform. UA approach is driven by data and requires constant optimization for the best working pattern. User Acquisition simplifies business firms to convert new users to dedicated buyers. Combined with the UA strategy, ASO strategy provides the best results.
- ASO increases the accessibility and discoverability feature of an app. The majority of the users surf the stores oblivious of the app they want to download. App Store Optimization helps to serve such a purpose – to fetch the appropriate application for the user.
- UA has a potential impact on organic downloads. Therefore, working on both ASO and UA can enhance organic uplift and aid in the development of a growth strategy that lasts for a long time.
Read More: Top 10 Best ASO (App Store Optimization) Tools in 2021
Workings of App Store Optimization
Some of the renown characteristics to affect iOS and Android app optimization according to the Digital Marketing Company are –
- On-metadata and
- On-metadata – The on-metadata factors remain under the control of the user. The modifiable factors of a listing or product page is the on-metadata factor. They help to increase keyword rankings over the app store, offer visibility and downloadable conversion rates. They include the package or URL, Developer’s Name (over Google Play), Name of the App, App Title, App description, short description, a subtitle, promotional keywords and text field (for Apple alone), classification, screenshots, videos and the app icon. On-metadata optimization can enable an app to rank higher over Explore and Search of the App Store.
- Off-metadata – The off-metadata factors lie beyond the developer’s control and consist of external factors. The off-page elements that partially lie beyond developer control include reviews, ratings, installation speed, volume etc.
App Store Optimization or ASO is a combination of on-metadata and off-metadata.
Optimization strategy of App Stores for Mobile Games and Apps
ASO or app store optimization is possible by following these methods –
- Market Research or Keyword Research – Selecting the appropriate keyword is vital to ensure a successful search for an app store. It is advisable to target keywords that carry –
- High relevance
- High traffic
- Low competition or difficulty
The Best ASO Company India indicates that strategy of keywords vary according to the applications. For instance, using low competition mid to long-tail terms can slowly change the apps with higher competition and traffic. The app or game must be available globally with multiple-language optimization for maximum visibility.
- Visibility Optimization – App optimization plays a vital role toward enhanced Conversion Rates and higher visibility.
CRO or Conversion Rate Optimization include feature images, screenshots or icons which are the elements of A/B test listing. CRO improves CTR lists, conversion rates and ensures higher installation rates.
Google Play Store – Every text listings that appear in Google’s store listings are indexed by Google. For Search properties, Google Play has much of its relevance with SEO. The keyword capacity in the title stands by 30 characters, short description by 80 characters and description by 4000 characters.
Apple iOS App Store – The App Name keywords and the Subtitle; each stands by 30 characters. The keywords field, however, has a maximum capacity of 100 characters. Therefore, the total capacity stands around 30+30+100 = 160 characters. There is an existing facility that allows over a 100 characters on the special field through hacking.
Monitoring or Tracking the vital KPIs on the SEO of the App Store – It is advisable for developers to track and monitor all the vital keywords, organic installs, Top Charts, competitors including organic installation revenue, app visibility, listing alterations, competitor updates etc.
Read More: 5 Best ASO Tools to Help You Promote Your App
The stages of SEO Strategy for an App Store
The SEO Strategy stages consists of three main parts which are –
- Keyword Optimization after Market Research
- A/B Testing and Google Play Store Optimization
- Monitoring and Tracking
- Keyword Optimization after Market Research – One of the primary steps to follow after the implementation of an ASO strategy is to identify the competitors and understand their tactics. Getting to know their strategy can help one to stay ahead of the commercial rat-race. It is best to start your race with mid-tail or long-tail keywords.
- A/B Testing and Google Play Store Optimization – A/B Testing is a form of comparison which relates a pair of version variants and checks on the one with the highest installs. The traffic is equally divided between the two options (A or B) and the comparison is established on the top performance.
- Monitoring and Tracking – It is best to keep a proper track of the vital daily or weekly KPIs consisting of install volumes, reviews and ratings, keyword rankings and the top categorical charts. The possibility of viewing and responding to user reviews over Google Play can turn listing conversion rates and search toward the favor of the seller.
As per the mobile app advertising company India, the ASO listing comprises of –
- Title – it is crucial for search results that lead to installation conversion rates.
- URL or Package – a potential factor for ranking with keywords over search engines.
- Developer Name – Google has its records on the history of the developers. The apps that rank higher over Google Play Search generally have a positive developer history.
- Short Description – With a proper content composition, short descriptions can provide a summarized information on the app potentials (or virtues) and values.
- Description – An arranged and structured description can offer all the necessary details that can convince a user to install and use an app.
- Icon – It has a direct influence on conversion rates and click-through rates as a first visual element.
- Video – Pasting the URL of the YouTube video in Google Play Store’s “Promo Field” can be influential. It is advised to avoid videos that carry age-restrictions or to rather use “the URL of a single video” than a channel URL or YouTube Playlist.
- Screenshots – These pictures provide the user with an in-app insight.