Perhaps you have recently opened your post and were delighted to receive a lovely wedding invitation only to see that the date clashes with other plans you cannot get out of – what an absolute nightmare! What do you say, in any case?
Well, we are here to assist you in this challenging circumstance and have created a variety of wedding wishes for when you cannot attend the wedding.
Even if you cannot attend, you can still send the couple’s adorable wedding regret ecards online (along with the RSVP), sure to make them smile.
Furthermore, if you have stumbled upon this blog by accident but can attend the wedding (yay!), look at our articles on what to write in wedding-free online cards for inspiration.
Sincere regret messages
It can be a little tricky thinking of how to write a message declining a wedding invitation that sounds heartfelt.
Do not worry, though; we are pretty much pros when it comes to messages for free greeting cards online and has some sincere card message suggestions for you:
- We would love to be with you on your big day, but regretfully we cannot make it. However, we will celebrate with you another day, and you can tell us all about it!
- Thank you so much for the invitation; sadly, I already have prior engagements, so I will not be able to attend. I am so excited for you both, and I know it will be a beautiful day for everyone.
- We cannot say how devastated we are to miss being there for you as you start your new life together. It will be a beautiful and magical day, and we will be there in spirit.
- We are so honoured that you wanted to include us in your wedding. Best wishes to you both, and we will have to catch up properly and get all the gossip once you are officially Mr and Mrs [insert surname]!
Simple messages to decline a wedding invitation
Maybe you do not know the couple that nicely or would prefer to keep your response short and sweet.
These are some simple messages that you can use as inspiration, although feel free to add your personal touch:
- Thank you for thinking of me, I appreciate the invitation, and I’ll be thinking of you on your big day
- Congratulations, I wish I could be there with you to celebrate properly, but due to other commitments, I will have to celebrate with you another time.
- Unfortunately, we cannot make it on this date. Wishing you both the best; we are sure it will be fantastic!
- I am sad I cannot attend your wedding, but I will be there in spirit. Sending all my love and warmest congratulations.
Funny regret messages
Alternatively, if you have a close relationship with the happy couple (and are confident they will find it funny), you could always add a small amount of humour.
If you are not sure where to start, here are some funny messages that we have come up with:
- Ah, so you are getting married on [insert date], sorry but I have better plans for that day. Congratulations, however. You will still have a spectacular day, even if you miss me!
- We all know I would be a liability if I came, so I will save you the embarrassment and sit this one out. All jokes aside, sadly, I cannot attend that day, but I send you my best wishes for the special day.
- Sorry, who is this? Since I have not seen either of you in forever, I will presume you accidentally sent me this invite, or it is out of pity, so it is a no from me. (Kidding, I am so sorry to miss this day. I cannot wait to see all the pictures afterwards.)
- Look at you two getting married… finally! As much as I was looking forward to making fun of all the wrong dance moves and taking advantage of the open bar with the rest of the drunkards, I would have to politely decline. Massive congratulations to you both, however.